- Cardiovascular Health*
- Glycemic Control*
- Muscle Health*
- Bone Health*
- Mental Health*
One of the most abundant minerals found in all cells throughout the body, magnesium plays a vital role in health. Magnesium is actively involved in the mitochondria’s creation of energy (ATP) from food, as well as protein synthesis, muscle contractions, and neuron functioning. It also may function as a potent antioxidant, with studies showing depletion of magnesium increases oxidative stress and free radicals. Magnesium is even required for the creation of glutathione, often thought of as the body’s “master antioxidant.”
Maintaining proper magnesium levels requires consistent daily intake – 320 mg for women and 420 for men – it is estimated that more than 50% of the US population fall short of meeting these standards. In fact, over half of the population may not even reach 50- 75% of recommended levels. Those who exercise, face various health conditions, are pregnant, or are aging, likely require even higher levels.
Magnesium Health Effects
Magnesium is involved in myriad health conditions, including the following:
Cardiovascular Health: Magnesium is crucial for regulating blood pressure and the heart’s electrical conduction. Magnesium deficiencies have been found to correlate to stroke, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease. A systemic review of studies involving 300K+ participants, found increased magnesium levels correlated to reduced cardiovascular disease risk.
Glycemic Control: Magnesium is key for blood sugar regulation, with magnesium deficiencies linked to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. In a systemic review and metanalysis of 18 double-blind, randomized controlled trials, supplementing magnesium was found to improve blood glucose and insulin control in those with, and/or at high risk of, type 2 diabetes.
Muscle Health: Magnesium is key for intramuscular energy generation and nerve contractions, and deficiencies have been linked to muscle cramps, pain, and fatigue.
Bone Health: Magnesium is a key mineral in our bones, and magnesium deficiencies have been indicated as a potential risk factor for osteoporosis. In the 8 year “Osteoarthritis Initiative” study, women with higher magnesium levels, experienced a 27% reduced risk for fractures.
Mental Health: Magnesium plays a crucial role in neuronal health and mental well being, with studies finding magnesium deficiencies correlate to irritability, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, headaches, dizziness, tremors, psychotic behavior, as well as other related conditions. A study in 23 adults with low magnesium and diabetes, found that taking 450 mg of magnesium daily for 3 months improved symptoms of depression as effectively as an antidepressant. Magnesium deficiency has also notably been linked to dementia and cognitive decline.
Monitoring Magnesium Levels
Magnesium can be difficult to obtain from our current diet, which is often woefully inadequate due in part to our environment’s magnesium-depleted soils. Pesticides like glyphosate have been shown to bind to magnesium and other minerals in the soil, further exacerbating the issue. Approximately one third of our magnesium is found within our cells, while the other two thirds resides in our bones, which provide a reservoir for cellular deficiency, though the conversion proves difficult for the body.
Since less than 1 percent of magnesium is found within the bloodstream – and even that is tightly regulated by the body’s kidneys, GI tract, and bones – monitoring magnesium blood levels may not reveal an underlying deficiency. As such, it’s likely best to assure adequate magnesium daily intake via diet and smart supplementation.
Magnesium Sucrosomial® Magnesium Oxide: Magnesium Sucrosomial® Magnesium Oxide is a patented type of magnesium encapsuled within a sucrosome structure, allowing the magnesium ions to cross the GI tract without interacting with the intestinal mucus, significantly increasing bioavailability in the bloodstream. Studies have found patients who supplement with this special form of magnesium, experience increased mental and physical health, as well as quality of life in those susceptible to bone fractures. In a 2018 comparison study, Sucrosomial® magnesium had the highest absorption of all magnesium tested.
Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Buffered With Oxide: Magnesium glycinate is highly absorbable, with our chelated buffered form even more so! It has also been shown to be beneficial in patients with depression.
Sucrosomial ® is a registered trademark of Alesco S.r.l
Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate: Chelating magnesium with amino acids enhances absorption, aiding the entrance of magnesium into the bloodstream and intracellular. Studies have found this form of amino acid may be protective of DNA, dramatically increasing RNA folding and preventing RNA degradation.
Magnesium Orotate: Magnesium orotate may specifically benefit GI health. Studies have found it can modulate the microbiome-gut-axis and affect neurotransmitter and inflammatory signals, increase motility, strengthen gut wall integrate, and affect DNA synthesis. It’s also been shown to provide cardioprotective benefits.
Magnesium Gluconate: Magnesium gluconate has been shown to be readily absorbed without causing loose stools. Studies have found it may help with hypertension related to pregnancy.
Magnesium Taurate: Studies have found magnesium taurate may work as a powerful antioxidant, and provide antihypertensive and cardioprotective benefits.
Magnesium Malate: Magnesium malate is a highly absorbable form of magnesium to support whole body levels.
Magnesium Citrate: Magnesium Citrate is a well absorbed form of magnesium, helping to both support body levels while also supporting GI motility.
AvalonX Magnesium 8 notably includes pyridoxal-5-phosphate, a methylated form of B6, which serves as a cofactor to aid absorption. In a 2018 randomized trial, both magnesium and magnesium with B6 similarly reduced stressed by around 40% over 2 months, in those with low magnesium levels. However, in those in severely stressed states with low magnesium, the magnesium B6 combination provided a 24% greater reduction in stress than magnesium alone. AvalonX Magnesium 8 is also formulated with chelated manganese, since magnesium may otherwise displace manganese.
- Superiority of magnesium and vitamin B6 over magnesium alone on severe stress in healthy adults with low magnesemia: A randomized, single-blind clinical trial
- Magnesium in Aging, Health and Diseases
- Glyphosate reduced seed and leaf concentrations of calcium, manganese, magnesium, and iron in non-glyphosate resistant soybean
- Magnesium metabolism: a review with special reference to the relationship between intracellular content and serum levels
- Relation of Cellular Potassium to Other Mineral Ions in Hypertension and Diabetes
- Intra-erythrocyte magnesium is associated with gamma-glutamyl transferase in obese children and adolescents
- Magnesium Deficiency and Hypertension: Correlation Between Magnesium-Deficient Diets and Microcirculatory Changes in Situ
- Magnesium and type 2 diabetes
- Dietary magnesium intake and fracture risk: Data from a large prospective study
- Effect of magnesium supplementation on glucose metabolism in people with or at risk of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of double-blind randomized controlled trials
- Circulating and dietary magnesium and risk of cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies
- Magnesium bioavailability from magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide
- Magnesium Orotate and the Microbiome–Gut–Brain Axis Modulation: New Approaches in Psychological Comorbidities of Gastrointestinal Functional Disorders
- Bioavailability of magnesium diglycinate vs magnesium oxide in patients with ileal resection
- PubChem: Magnesium gluconate –
- Magnesium taurate attenuates progression of hypertension and cardiotoxicity against cadmium chloride-induced hypertensive albino rats
- The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare
- Efficacy and safety of oral magnesium supplementation in the treatment of depression in the elderly with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, equivalent trial
- Does the association of therapeutic exercise and supplementation with sucrosomial magnesium improve posture and balance and prevent the risk of new falls?
- Magnesium bioavailability after administration of sucrosomial® magnesium: results of an ex-vivo study and a comparative, double-blinded, cross-over study in healthy subjects
- Cellular conditions of weakly chelated magnesium ions strongly promote RNA stability and catalysis
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
PURITY. POTENCY. TRANSPARENCY. TRUST.